Monday 9 April 2007

Pizza galore


After three intense days of dough making and experimentation, I am finally pleased with my pizzas.

I first made pizza a week or so back, and it wasn't too bad actually. I made my own tomato sauce from tomatoes, which turned out a bit runny and not strong enough in flavour, but it wasn't too bad.

Second attempt was last friday. Inadvertently, I used organic unbleached flour, which was much easier to knead than Home Brand plain flour. I also tried to make a calzone. The crust was a bit too crunchy and dry though.

After consulting the Silver Spoon, I realised that I missed the bit where it said to cover the dough while letting it rise! No wonder it dried up and became too crunchy. So I tried that again on saturday, with improved results :D Hence, on Saturday, my gf Fang came over and we made some prosciutto pizzas and spinach ones too :D

I was so pleased with the pizzas that I decided to invite my church friends over for lunch on Sunday. I was a bit short on time, so I only let the dough rise for about an hour, but it did rise sufficiently. I folded the sides of the rolled out dough so that the sides of the pizzas would be thicker, and also wiped the sides with some water to prevent it from drying too much. The result was pretty good: good chewy crust :)

Then today, my friends came over to have lunch and to make pasta, and they found Italian 00 flour at Woolworths!! So we made pasta with that, and I'm going to use it to make pizza next time, to make it truly authentic :D

Anyway, the rest of the photos from Sunday are below.



1 comment:

riverina said...

Post more food pics, jeff!!!