Tuesday 25 September 2007

Pizza eye candy

When my cousin came over to Brisbane, I made pizza for her to try. I was very pleased with the way they turned out, and I hope you are too! In the past, the dough may not have risen properly, due to the cold weather, but this time, I put it in the oven at about 30 degrees to let it rise. Two things I wasn't happy with though: I didn't use 00 flour (I ran out) so the dough wasn't as fine in texture as I liked. Secondly, the crust was sufficiently hardened, but still wasn't crunchy enough for my liking. Perhaps a touch too much water? Might also be the baking paper I use to line the pizza stone. I would prefer not to use the paper, but at the moment I have no real way of moving pizzas between the bench and the oven apart from using paper.

Anyway, I am very pleased with how these turned out, and how they tasted! For your information, the pizzas are:

Salmon and parsley
Scallops, garlic and parsley
Sundried tomatoes and three cheeses (King Island Blue Brie and a Danish Camembert and mozarella)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heya! i bet your cousin was impressed with your pizza-making skills!

I'm not too sure what component of the dough would make it more crunchy... if you set the heat really high for like a minute or so with just the base in the oven (without burning it), and then reduce the heat to cook the pizza/topping through, do you think that would help to make the base more crunchy?

And yes, although, as you said, baking paper is porous, I think it would make a difference if you baked the pizza without it on the stone (not that I've tried myself). Have you considered getting one of those pizza slides or whatever you call them? that way, you can remove the pizza from the stone in the oven easily, and hence won't need baking paper to lift it off.

Looking forward to more food stories :)