Tuesday 20 November 2007

Hong Kong stories: Foie Gras sushi

Wow... people always told me how food in Hong Kong was cheap and tasty, but I was still truly surprised by the cheapness and the tastiness. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to blog everyday, but to briefly mention the gastronomic highlights of the past few days:


Wonton soup noodles and lemon tea for... $3 AUD...!!! The wontons actually taste like wontons as well. I think I will really struggle to fill my stomach for 3 AUD in Australia. I mean a sandwich is like... 3.50 at least?


Had 'oil sticks' the other day for breakfast as well. Needless to say, it was dirt cheap, and extremely fatty. For those who don't know, 'oil sticks' are deep fried strips of flour.


Here are some pictures from the French-Vietnamese restaurant we went to. The presentation was excellent. The taste wasn't spectacular, but it was tasty nonetheless. My favourite dish was probably the lobster soup:




Their 'handmade' fish sauce and Luoc Mam (did I spell that right?) were impressive too. Unknowingly, my relatives ordered a kiwifruit salad, but I managed to enjoy the rest of that salad without killing myself so that was good :D.


The culinary highlight so far has definitely been the day my cousin Suet and her friend Ming took us out to Causeway Bay. For dinner we went to this Japanese restaurant where we had an assortment of dishes.
We had a hotpot:




Scallops:




Kimchi fried rice:








Japanese Pizza:








Soft Shell Crab Salad:



Despite the tasty dinner we had, it was unfortunately not as spectacular as the experience we had at lunch. Suet and Ming took us to this sushi bar next to the World Trade Centre, where reputedly people have to line up for hours to get a seat. Fortunately, we managed to get in fairly quickly (about 1.5 hours). The range of sushi on offer simply blew my mind away. I think the offer about 6 to 7 times more variety of sushi dishes than your typical sushi bar in Australia. Here are some dishes we had:








One of our favourite dishes was the grilled salmon sushi. The chef slaps a piece of salmon fillet on a rice ball, and then sears the top of the fish with a blowtorch, to amazing effect. And at 9 HKD (less than 1.5 AUD) for 2 of these sushis, it's an absolute bargain! It's a great time to be Australian :D


However, our favourite dish in our time in HK so far is the Foie Gras Sushi. I've never had foie gras (goose liver) before, and I don't really know how to describe the taste, but I think the best word is luxurious. It just melts in your mouth *drools*! My brother Derek said this after leaving the sushi bar, which I think sums up the foie gras suhi pretty well: "We should have taken the foie gras off the sushi, eat the rice, and then eat the foie gras, then drink or eat nothing for the rest of the day so that the taste of the foie gras is retained". For someone who can't tell between salty and sweet, I think that says a lot :D. Can't wait to go back! Stay in tuned for food shopping experiences in HK.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want not concur on it. I think warm-hearted post. Especially the title-deed attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I think the post should secure more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone!

i have been looking to figure out a good place to start with the Acai free trial and was wanting to know if anybody had any thoughts on whether or not it works to lose weight? So far here is the only [url=http://blogbud.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?sitename=acaiberrydetox&item=home]article[/url] I have been able to come across that seemed real for what my goals are. Thoughts?