Tuesday 23 October 2007

Sunday lunch adventures: Korean BBQ

One of the highlights of my week is sunday lunch with my church folks. It's a time when I get to spend time with them, and we almost always have a great time. But knowing me, it's also a time to tuck in to some good food (although my willingness to depart with double digit amounts of $ isn't always matched by others hehe).

One day we went to Korean BBQ (Seoul BBQ next to Altandi Station if you're interested). We were tossing up between going to Seoul BBQ or the new one near pinelands, but after our meal at Seoul, someone (who has been to both) said that they liked Seoul better, and it was also cheaper, so that was good.

Since we had a group of 14 people or so people, we needed a few tables. My table went for chilli pork belly, marinated beef and some other sort of beef. It was quite excellent. The other table had the $70 meat plate and it certainly looked a better deal than ours. Part of the fun of korean BBQ is that you cook it yourself, and that added quite a lot to the experience, although towards the end the novelty sort of died out and I just wished someone would cook it for me. The other table also gave us some of their meat, for example, their Waygu beef, which was so exquisite! I know what I'm getting next time!

Of course, you can't go to a korean restaurant without kimchi, and we probably had 15 or so different kimchi dishes. Fortunately for me, no one else wanted any so I pretty much ate all of it. My favourite is still the pickled chilli cabbages. I didn't know that pan fried spam ham with egg wash was also a kimchi (or is it?)!

I was too busy eating to take many photos, but here are some.

(Ok, blogger is having some trouble atm, I will upload later)

No comments: