Tuesday 23 October 2007

Sunday lunch adventures: Sushi at Oishii

Oishii is probably one of the better japanese eateries I've been to. Interestingly, it's owned by a malaysian (or was he indonesian?), but then again, I haven't been to many sushi places owned by japanese (they're always taiwanese).

My favourite dishes at Oishii are probably the tempura soft shell crabs (and the sushi variant: the 'spider' roll), and just your good old sashimi. The octopus balls were also delectable, and reminds me of that cartoon I used to watch in HK where this little kid magician really really loves the squid balls from the street vendor (incidentally I also love squid balls :D).

The service at Oishii is not that great though. Then again, it's probably due to the fact that it's not really run by japanese, who I've found to be quite hospitable and friendly people. If it wasn't for the food there, I would not go simply because the service and the manners aren't that great. The overall cleanliness is pretty good though, which is not something you'd expect when you think of a place with bad table service. The fact that you can see right into the kitchen (and watch them prepare your dishes) shows that they are very clean (and I guess they'd have to be with an open kitchen like that).

No comments: